Preparing for your first Hot Yoga or Pilates Class
For many of you your first class will be a very different experience – mentally, physically and emotionally. The yoga room will be hot, you are going to get sweaty and might feel uncomfortable at times. Know that everyone else in the room started and felt exactly the same way – just ask them!
You will see all shapes, sizes, ages and different abilities – please never judge or try and compete, especially with yourself! Every day is different in the hot room. Just try your best, because that’s all you can do.
First timers checklist
- Make sure you are well hydrated by drinking throughout the day, try to consume at least 1-2 litres of water.
- Avoid eating a heavy meal at least two hours before class, a small peace of fruit, boiled egg, or smoothie is fine if you are very hungry.
- Arrive at least 15-20 minutes before class so you have plenty of time to fill out the registration form and to take a look around the studio, as well as meet the instructor and discuss any injuries etc.
- Switch off your mobile phone or put on silent mode.
- You will only need a yoga mat, towel and water in class. Mat and towels can be hired at the studio and water is available to purchase. Water, coconut juice and electrolytes are also available to buy.
- It’s best to drink water before and after class, keeping drinking to a minimum during class.
- Wear gym cloths, bikini, swim suit, something light and fitted. Do not wear long pants or baggy t-shirts. It’s going to be hot and you will not be comfortable with loose wet clothing on. We sell ladies and mens yoga clothes at the studio.
- Enjoy your new experience, keep an open mind!
- Do not compete with others or yourself
- Listen to your instructor, breathe and STAY IN THE ROOM
Its quite normal to feel over whelmed, dizzy or even nauseous. If this does happen just kneel on your mat, breath slowly and relax. Take a break. Its OK, let your body and mind adjust to what is going on around you and when you feel better, join back in. It’s the fresh oxygenated blood flushing around your body so fast that creates these feelings. YOU ARE DETOXING THE BODY. AFTER A FEW CLASSES THIS SHOULD PASS.
It will take at least 3 classes before you approach the postures the right way. You will gain more balance, focus, discipline, strength, flexibility, confidence and self love.
We think it’s the heat that’s giving us a hard time but it’s our HEART AND LUNGS that are struggling to work together. YOU WILL LEARN WITH A REGULAR PRACTICE THE YOGIC BREATH AND GAIN FULL LUNG CAPACITY! Helping you to clean up your body and mind gaining a much healthier and cleaner mind and body in a very short with a regular practice.
The heat helps you to relax the body so that when we stretch we can release tightness as well as DETOX FROM THE INSIDE OUT! And a whole lot more.
Starting Yoga or Pilates, it is recommended you come to class once a day for 2 – 3 months. Even when your practice has improved you should still come to class daily.
If you have a chronic complaint of some description, keep practicing daily until the condition is resolved, trust the process!!