What is Yin Yoga?
Yin Yoga is a great complement to other styles of yoga. Yin is a passive style of yoga, with postures conducted primarily on the floor. Yin yoga is unique in that you fully relax into the postures, allowing the practise to soften the muscles and work deep into the joints and fascia system of the body. Postures are held for longer period of time, generally 1-5 minutes. Because of this, Yin yoga is a deeper meditative experience than Bikram or Power flow yoga.
Yin yoga is performed in a non heated room.
In each class of Yin Yoga, you are trying to access the deeper tissues, such as the connective tissues & fascia and many of the postures focus on areas that encompass a joint (hips, sacrum, spine). As one ages, flexibility in the joints decrease & Yin yoga is a wonderful way to maintain that flexibility, something that many people don’t seem to be concerned about, until they notice it’s gone.
It’s an intimate practice, so get ready to get intimate with yourself, feelings, sensations & emotions. Great practice to help deal with addictions, eating disorders, anxiety & deep tissue pain or trauma, a life saver for many.
Benefits of Yin Yoga
- Calming & balancing the mind & body
- Regulates energy in the body
- Lowers stress levels
- Increases mobility in the body, especially joints & hips
- Prepares you for sitting meditation
- Greater stamina
- Teaches you to really listen
- Better lubrication & protection of joints
- Helps with TM & migraines
- Deeper relaxation
- Helps cope with anxiety & stress
- Incorporating a little of all styles will create a more well rounded practice and a more well rounded version of the awesome you!